Dienstag, 2. November 2010

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten books that made me cry


This is a weekly meme from The Broke and the Bookish.
  1. Harper Lee: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD - poor Boo Radley!

  2. Leonie Swann: GAROU - though it is in general funny and also thrilling it made me cry - because cruelty to animals does that to me.

  3. Astrid Lindgren: THE BROTHERS LIONHEART

  4. Christa Winslow: THE CHILD MANUELA - Manuela fells for her teacher but there a strict rules in the German Empire - like every where else at that time.. - about teachers, pupils and homosexuality..

  5. Gudrun Pausewang: DIE NOT DER FAMILIE CALDERA (= "The woe of the family Caldera") is a German children's book about the Indian Ramon Caldera who lives in the Andes and goes to a town to have a better live. He marries Rafaela, a house maid. They are happy and get children. But after a while their luck turns and some of their children die, Rafaela and Ramon loose their jobs and they have to move to the slums. Ramon has to become a criminal to get by. At the end he gets shot.
    We read it in school and after that I was up to save every poor indian - and all in tears.

  6. A. A. Milne: THE HOUSE AT POOH CORNER - Christopher Robin is going to grow up.

  7. Almost every story by Hans Christian Andersen: THE STEADFEST TIN SOLDIER, THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL, THE LITTLE MERMAID, THE FIR-TREE...

  8. Gudrun Pausewang: FRIEDEN KOMMT NICHT VON ALLEIN (= "Peace doesn't come of its own volition") is a collection of Anti-war stories for children - and some of them were really hard to take for me.

  9. Erica Fischer: AIMÉE & JAGUAR - a true story about a jewish women and a wife of a German soldier in the 3.Reich who fell in love. No happy ending in that - and my favourite love story.

  10. Charlotte Prenzel: KOMM HEIM, HANNE(= "Come home, Hanne") is a German girl's book from the 1950s/1960s about a orphaned girl called Hanne who finds a mother - and me in tears when the dachshund Lumpi is run over by a car. (gee, I think I go and cry right now again..)

9 Kommentare:

  1. I'm sad we don't have more non-American books available in the US. I wonder why that is. Perhaps if we studied more languages in
    school....

    Thank you for sharing these.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. How could I have forgotten To Kill A Mockingbird - probably my all-time favorite book!! Gah!

    Thanks for visiting my list!

    Sarah

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. To Kill a Mockingbird may be one of the best books written of all time...I do not remember crying any of the times that I read it but it definitely brings up a ton of emotion...on all levels.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I don't know The Brothers Lionheart, but I loved Pippi Longstocking (and so did my daughters). I agree with you on To Kill a Mockingbird, one of my favorite books of all time.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I love To Kill A Mockingbird. Excellent choice.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. I think I cried at the Brother Lionheart as well and if I'm right about knowing which story you mean with the Little Matchgirl, I cried at that one as well. Great list!

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Had the right story in mind then, I always felt so sad as a kid when hearing it!
    And yes, Komt een vrouw bij de dokter is like the beginning of a joke, it's very common here I think. Funny that you use the same in Germany!

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Aw I loved the Winnie-the-Pooh books when I was younger! :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Oh yes, To Kill a Mockingbird, of course! Thanks for visitng my blog yesterday. I was so caught up in our elections that I didn't go visit anyone's blog to make comments.
    -Anne
    hpp://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen

Every comment makes me happy - because than I know there is someone out there reading this! ;")

Thank you for commenting! I am reading every comment you'll make - and when I can think of an answer I will post it. ;")