Dienstag, 28. Dezember 2010

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten favourite books in 2010

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


So.. Which were my favourite reads in 2010? Well.. Some of them were re-reads - but I enjoyed them very much and I think you might get a good look at my reading habits:


1. Sarah Waters: TIPPING THE VELVET (1998)




2. Daphne Du Maurier: REBECCA (1938) - just great. Take a look at the German edition cover:

Read it. Love it. And compare it with




3. Emily Brontë: WUTHERING HEIGTHS (1847) - what can I say.. *HEATHCLIFF...!*



    (I like the German cover of this edition very much. My own copy looks a bit different.. I am obsessed with book covers!)



4. Esther Williams: THE MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID (2000) - which I read in English and enjoyed it very much.




5. Leonie Swann: GAROU (2010)- Leonie Swann's heroes are sheep. And they investigate murders.. A great laugh which made me cry, too. E.g. when an animal is harmed.. This is a real good thriller - just only with sheep.. ;")


6. James M. Cain: MILDRED PIERCE (1941) - a woman has to earn her living for herself and her daughters in the USA during the era of the Great Depression.. Yes, this book is picturized. :")





7. Mary Jane Ward: THE SNAKE PIT (1946) - a woman finds herself in an asylum. Based on Mary Jane Wards own experiences - there's a film, too.






8. Charlotte Armstrong: MISCHIEF (1950)- yes, I metioned this one not sooo long ago, but I really like this one.. ;")



9. Gina Kaus: CATHERINE (1935) - biography about Catherine the Great - and a great read, too. No book cover but here's a picture of Catherine the Great:




10. John Wyndham: THE MIDWICH CUKOOS (1957) - almost every woman in Midwich is pregnant - even if she hadn't got a "chance" to conceive.. and when the babies are born, they all have golden eyes and act strange.. Normally, I don't read science fiction but this one - oh boy! and yes - there's a film.. This book will be reviewed soon here - and the film in my film blog AND THEN THEY START TO SPARKLE but *shush* it's a secret yet..






11. Jetta Carleton: THE MOONFLOWER VINE (1962) - this is a bonus, because I can't remember wether I read it this or last year - but I LOVED it!)





12. Elizabeth Edmondson: FROZEN LAKE (2004) - I did not finish this one yet, but I like it very much sooo - another bonus.. *wuhahaha*




So, that's it - I reviews for some of them and of course I linked them then. For the other ones I am going to write reviews.


What were your favourite books in 2010?

9 Kommentare:

  1. Thanks for following, I'm following you back :o) I have not read Rebecca, but that cover is doing things to me so I'll put it in my list :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Wow. You read some fascinating books this year.

    Here is my Top Ten of 2010 post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-books-ive-read-in-2010.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I haven't read any of those books! What an eclectic list :D Thanks for sharing with us!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Rebecca is always a good read! If that hadn't been a re-read for my, I probably would have listed it too. But since I had so many books to choose from, I tried to go with books that were new to me. The Esther Williams book looks like it would be really good too. Here's my list: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-tuesday-best-of-2010.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Rebecca was one of my Favorite books of all times. It won the Anthony Award for book of The Century. Pretty Impressive!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. You've got some of my favourite books on your list! :) I love Sarah Waters, Rebecca and Wuthering Heights.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am a new follower.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Thank you all very much for commenting! :") I think this list shows what kind of books you can expect next year reviewed here.. ;")

    Thank you very much, Samita and Misha for following this blog! I am happy to have you here! :")

    Love,

    Irene

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Hi Irene
    I came back to say thanks for your kind words on my blog! :) I am glad to have discovered your blog because our taste in books seem similar.
    Happy New Year!
    Misha

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Happy New Year to you, too, Misha!

    You're very welcome! I felt the same about your blog.. ;")

    Love,
    Irene

    AntwortenLöschen

Every comment makes me happy - because than I know there is someone out there reading this! ;")

Thank you for commenting! I am reading every comment you'll make - and when I can think of an answer I will post it. ;")